Our Club House
Riverside Golf Club, situated on the banks of the Tamar River, is one of Tasmania’s premier golf clubs with majestic views of the mountains, valley and city.
The Riverside Golf Club is more than just a golf course. It is a fantastic facility that provides Launceston with 45 hectares of beautifully maintained, park like, grounds situated in suburban Riverside. Located just six kilometres north, and 10 minutes drive, from Launceston's CBD, it is a par 72, 5984 metre layout, providing a challenge for golfers of all levels. We have a first class Pro Shop and excellent practice areas.
The Clubhouse has a huge glass frontage providing spectacular views over the first tee, the 9th green, practice putting and chipping areas. Our dining room can seat 150 guests where you can experience our fantastic catering facilities. Relax in comfortable surroundings and enjoy refreshment before or after your game of golf. Our staff and members are very friendly and the great clubhouse atmosphere instantly puts everyone at ease.
The club has a very relaxed feel and offers a busy social calendar, celebrating important dates in the diary, live music, musical productions, fund-raisers, charity golf days & dinners, weddings, and much, much more.
Rest assured you will receive a friendly and warm welcome at the Riverside Golf Club.
The club was formed in August 1930 but not on the present site.
Origins of the Club / Location
- 1930 club started at Hobblers Bridge beside the North Esk River and railway line - hence the name ‘Riverside’.
- 1932 moved to a drier location behind the race course at Mowbray but retained the name Riverside.
- 1934 The club was offered a lease on 50 acres at the current site with an option of a further 50 acres from the landowner E.W. Freeland (who owned much of the land that now makes up Trevallyn and Riverside).
- 1934 Half of the original members moved to the new West Tamar site while the other half stayed at the Mowbray site and eventually formed the Mowbray Golf Club.
- 1940s The area surrounding the club, previously known as Trevallyn, was named Riverside after the golf club.
- 1934 the original clubhouse was a simple shed which was brought from the Mowbray site – the exact location at Riverside is unknown.
- 1935 a new clubhouse was developed west of current 10th green probably close to or on the current lower level of the road (was on the northern side of the drain).
- Many modifications and extensions were made to the clubhouse to house an increased membership plus professional and equipment.
- At one stage there was a separate professional’s shop and a caretaker’s cottage
- Mid 1940s the “Grand Plan” envisaged a 3-storey residential complex in a Country Club style which would have had the club house facilities plus restaurants and accommodation. This plan also envisaged tennis courts, bowling green, croquet green and swimming pool, caretaker’s cottage, green keeper’s cottage and equipment shed – the plan was abandoned in the late 40s due to lack of finance after the war.
- 1962 new clubhouse opened on current site. Original clubhouse lost to widening of West Tamar Highway.
- 1993 the clubhouse was extensively modified to make the whole building larger and the bar area was enlarged.
- 1934 while the original 9-hole course was being developed play was on a temporary course on the option 50 acres (northern side of current property).
- 1935 The 9 hole, 2339 yard par 34 course was open on 27 April.
- The club purchased half an acre from the leased land to develop a clubhouse – this area was later resumed for the road widening.
- Mid 1940s the club purchased the whole 100 acres so that the course could be extended to 18 holes and had to buy an extra 10-15 acres on the eastern boundary so that a championship 18-hole course could be designed.
- 1945 construction of the 18 hole course commenced.
- 1948 the new 18 hole course was opened on 29 May.
- Some land was resumed along western edge for the West Tamar Road widening to dual carriageway.
- Sold a small block to the Shell Company to be a service station (now vacant).
- The Riverside Bowls Club was originally constructed in 1947/48 and opened in January 1949.
- Within a year the bowls club went into recess and restarted in the 1970’s. The bowls club recently amalgamated with the Trevallyn Bowls Club and the land has reverted back to the golf club.
- Current 15th and 16th fairways were raised by 2 metres by the HEC between 1954 and 1958 – material was pumped from the tailrace and these holes were flooded and unusable for approx. 4 years – course was re-arranged with two temporary holes.
- 1985 hosted the Tasmanian Open.
- 2015 sold the unused land on the SW corner which has now been developed into a number of houses/units.